Teplice SPA - well established spa with traditions
The legend says that the hot springs were accidentally discovered by a swineherd back in 762. the chronicle keeper Vaclav Hajekirom Libocany says that the hot water scalded the knight Kolostuj, and he built a castle here. But lets keep to the facts. The findings of ancient coins and jewelry left here by Celtic tribes and Romans suggest that people knew about the healing springs quite a long time ago, perhaps already around the 1th century AD.
In 1158 Queen Judita, wife of Vladislav II, founded a Benedictine nunnery here-in honour of declaring Vladislav II a hereditary Czech king. The former settlement, that grew by the intersection of routes connecting Bohemia with Saxony and Usti with Cheb, became officially a town in the 13th century. A fortification wall with four gates was raised around the town. Since 1315 annual markets were held here. Already in the 14"' century Teplice was known as a spa town - the name itself is derived from the warm springs (teply meaning warm in Czech). In 1426 the nunnery was destroyed by Meissen's army before the battle at Ustf nad Labem. The town got a new owner, Jakoubek from Viesovice. At the site of the nunnery a fortress was built in 1451, later rebuilt into a chateau. During the reign of Jin from Podebrady, Teplice became a dowry town of Queen Johanna and she took care of the further development of this spa town. In the 1480s the town was once again a property of the Lords of Vresovice. The spa evolved on a grand scale in the 16th century. Radslav Vchynsky from Vchynice and Tetov had tamed the main springs and established bath houses. He founded a town hospital and a chapel was built by the chateau. In 1634 the Aldringens came (later Clary-Aldringen, Clary was acquired by marriage) successfully striving for international acknowledgement of the spa. In 1654 Teplice burnt down but the rebuilding works were fast. The neighbouring villages of Sanov and Trnovany, with their own springs, were connected to the town. In 1759, during the Seven Year War the town changed into an army spa. By that time there were twelve springs in the town and another five in the suburbs. Another fire raged in the town in 1793, but Clary-Aldringen took care of an other major reconstruction of the town. The fortification walls were tore down so the town could breathe freely and Teplice was considered as one of the leading European spas. It was the destination of many significant personalities and a place where many important political meetings took place. In 1816 the spa tax was introduced.
In the first half of the 19th century Teplice SPA was one of the most significant spas in Bohemia, nevertheless, after 1850 competition in the shape of other growing spa centres was made felt. The fact that since 1841 the coal mines were opened did not help. In 1862 the spa celebrated its 1100 anniversary. In the beginning of the 20th century the number of visitors and patients was decreasing. In 1950s and 1960s the town was disturbed by demolition and some new building works. Fortunately the historical monuments and sights were saved and renewed and after 1990 the old bath houses, or the Krusnohorske Theatre building, were quickly reconstructed, etc.
Today the Teplice spa offers treatments of the locomotors, vascular and nervous system and psychological problems. The main healing sources are the Primary Sourceand Hynie with the natural mineral water of 39°C.