40 Healing Mineral Water Springs are in Marienbad and the area
There is no other place in the world where the vast scale of difference in such a small area can be found! There is a common denominator, though. All the springs are highly saturated with carbon dioxide (more than one thousand milligrams per litre) therefore these mineral waters are called \"kyselka\" (acidulous water). Most of them also contain a large proportion of iron, which is revealed by the rusty looking film covering the area around a spring source. Water streams from various depths - in some instances it is a spontaneous flow, others are collected from the boreholes. The overall yield of all springs is ca 400 to 600 liters a minute.
The oldest spring in Marianske Lazne is the Ferdinand Spring. It is actually made of several springs and the spring Ferdinand VI is known as the table water Excelsior. The Rudolf spring wells up in Usovice: it contains a high percentage of calcium and is used for drink therapy in urological complaints. The spring was named after prince Rudolf, the successor to the Habsburg throne (as was the Prague concert hall Rudolfinum). But the most famous spring in Marianske Lazne is the Krizovy Spring, streaming out in the main colonnade below the Masarykova Street. It was named by the cross that was erected nearby in 1 749. Just as the Ferdinand Spring, it contains a great amount of salts, and the presence of sulphate in its composition has also a laxative effect. The Karolina Spring is to be found in Skalnik\'s Orchards by Reitengerger Street. The spring was discovered in 1809 and in 1817 named after Karolina Augusta, the wife of the Emperor Franz I. It contains large amount of magnesium and is used predominantly by patients with bladder stones. The three springs in the park between the Casino and the Central Bath area are Ambroz\'s Springs, named after the enlightened abbot Jeronym Ambroz. They were also called Springs of Love. They help with urological problems and anemia. The Woodland Spring, covered over with the roof of a classicist pavilion from 1869, is used in the healing of catarrhs and in some urological complaints. It wells up bellow the Trebizskeho Street and its name dates back to 1828. The Antonicek Spring by Palackeho Street is covered over by an arbor house designed by an architect Brix the refreshing acidulous water is called St. Antonin\'s. Marie\'s springs have quite different characteristics. They are caught in the pavilion in the courtyard of the Central Bath. They are dry springs - head springs of carbon dioxide that is dissolved in the shallow underground water. They are used in balneology, the spring gases are used for gas injections and gas baths. These springs and the picture of the Virgin Mary, put up by the springs as an act of gratefulness, give this spa town its name.